JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: In addition to the following, performs other related duties as required.
Under general supervision, enforces laws; assists in investigations; prepares and maintains police records; maintains personal and professional competence and awareness; may be assigned to perform D.A.R.E., G.R.E.A.T. and Safety City Officer duties. Performs related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS: The training, education and work experience which indicate possession of the knowledge, skills and abilities listed below. The minimum acceptable qualifications for this position are:
Completion of secondary education, and training and experience involving considerable contact with the public. Must pass the Civil Service Examination for the position. Must possess valid Ohio driver’s license. Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age at time of appointment.
ILLUSTRATIVE DUTIES OF THE CLASSIFICATION: The following duties are intended to depict tasks performed by this classification.
1. Enforces traffic laws in an assigned area; issues warning tags and citations, reducing traffic accidents by pin-pointing problem areas; makes security checks (stops at businesses and residences and talks to manager/resident, documents daily on day sheet); transports and books prisoners; operates and utilizes law enforcement equipment and weapons.
2. Conducts investigations of crimes, complaints and incidents to gather information and evidence; recovers stolen property and apprehends wanted persons.
3. Prepares reports and forms used in day-to-day operations; enters and retrieves information from computers.
4. Maintains personal and professional competence and awareness; maintains required certifications; maintains required licenses.
5. Maintains C.O.P. philosophy; attends Block Watch and Neighborhood Association meetings.
6. Participates in Adopt-A-Cop, Adopt-A-School functions; participates in school visits, lunch and playground contacts.
7. Conducts home security surveys and provides relevant crime prevention information to the public.
8. Initiates positive citizen contacts during patrol operations through foot patrol and/or bicycle patrol.
9. May be assigned to perform D.A.R.E., G.R.E.A.T. and Safety City Officer duties; organizes and coordinates D.A.R.E./G.R.E.A.T. program between school administration and L.P.D.; prepares for classroom and maintains good working and teaching skills for classroom instruction; maintains positive relationships with students, teachers and parents; initiates and organizes major yearly projects.
10. Honestly and effectively testifies in court as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Necessary to perform duties (* indicates obtained after hired).
Knowledge of: Office practices and procedures; public relations; certification/licensure requirements*; records preparation and management; courtroom procedures*; law enforcement procedures and methods*; arrest procedures*; law enforcement equipment and weapons*; interviewing*; data processing techniques and procedures; techniques of collection and preservation of evidence*; D.A.R.E. program*; G.R.E.A.T. program*; Safety City program*.
Skills in: Motor vehicle operation; operation and care of firearms*; computer operation.
Ability to: Comply with the Lima Police Department General Directives: answer routine telephone inquiries; develop and maintain effective working relationships; deal with many variables and determine specific action; interpret extensive variety of technical material in books, journals and manuals; prepare accurate documentation; communicate effectively; recognize unusual or threatening conditions and take appropriate action; complete routine forms; carry out detailed but basic written or oral instructions; demonstrate physical agility; compile and prepare reports; apply principles to solve practical, everyday problems; define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions; demonstrate physical endurance; gather, collate and classify information about data, people or things; handle sensitive inquiries from and contacts with officials and general public.
With or without reasonable accommodation, the incumbent must:
• Complete all work as detailed in the illustrative duties section at acceptable productivity levels
• Demonstrate all skills and abilities as referenced in this job specification at acceptable productivity levels
• Demonstrate reasonable and reliable attendance
• Maintain all required licensures and/or certifications
• Operate all designated equipment at acceptable productivity levels
• Police car, radio, firearms, radar, camera, computer terminal.
Starting Salary – $22.20 per hour; $1,776.00 bi-weekly
THE CITY OF LIMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND ALL INDIVIDUALS, REGARDLESS OF SEX, RACE, RELIGION OR NATIONAL ORIGIN ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
LICENSURE OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
Ohio Peace Officer Certification, valid Ohio driver’s license. Must pass Civil Service Examination.
The Lima Civil Service Board will conduct an open and competitive written examination for the following position:
Necessary Qualifications – The training, education, and work experience, which indicate possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below. The minimum acceptable qualifications for this position are:
Completion of high school education, and training and experience involving considerable contact with the public. Must pass the Civil Service Examination for the position. Must possess valid Ohio driver’s license. Must be between the ages of twenty-one (21) and thirty-five (35) at time of appointment.
APPLICATIONS AND JOB DESCRIPTIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AS FOLLOWS:
1. LIMA CIVIL SERVICE BOARD, RTA Building 202 E. High Street – 2nd Floor, Lima, Ohio
2. Online at https://www.cityhall.lima.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/3982
The CIVIL SERVICE JOB APPLICATION MUST BE COMPLETED in all respects and filed by either 1) email to email@example.com OR 2) at the offices of the LIMA CIVIL SERVICE BOARD, RTA BUILDING 202 E. HIGH STEET – SECOND FLOOR, LIMA, OHIO, BETWEEN THE HOURS 8:00 A.M. AND 5:00 P.M., MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
DEADLINE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
DATE OF EXAMINATION: Sunday, March 14, 2021
TIME OF EXAMINATION: 2:00 p.m. (No admittance prior to 1:45 p.m.)
PLACE OF EXAMINATION:
Veterans Memorial Civic & Convention Center
144 S. Main Street
Lima, Ohio 45801